Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thoughts on Religion

My pool guy Joe sent me a big long sermon(1 1/2 hr.)on youtube to watch.Joe is a Christian Evangelist and he is very adamant in his belief. We have had some very civil religious discussions that I have enjoyed. In regards to the sermon I watched, the preacher was trying to teach how modern Evangelism has gotten away from the true Gospel of Christ that he believes was originally taught. Basically it was his interpretation of the bible and the word of God. I'm not going to get into the theology of the sermon but I do want to express my opinion which of course is only MY OPINION. That's just it when it comes to religion,it's just a matter of opinion and no actual proven facts. I am Agnostic with a very strong leaning toward Atheism. The whole concept of having a religion has become silly and pointless to me. I know a lot of people love their religion, because they say it gives them a purpose and guidance in their lives. I have found purpose and guidance without subscribing to any set religion. Why do we human's constantly try to convert others to believe what we think is the Truth. In the end nobody really knows despite what you CHOOSE to believe. I just don't see the point in it. I believe in what my senses tell me and what I learn and experience. Everyone experiences life a little differently and will form ideas and opinions differently. We will never agree on a unified way of thinking and I am so glad for that. Diversity creates culture and growth. I think the true goal in life is to not be so anthropocentric and look at all life with appreciation, respect and awe. I'm just so glad to be alive that I really don't care what happens after I'm dead. I try to live for the moment like each day was my last and enjoy what I know is real. Life is too short to worry about what is unknown, unproven and will never be agreed on. I think we should respect others beliefs as long as they don't hurt or infringe upon the rights of anyone else, if that's possible. I love the Wicca creed that states "Do as you will but hurt none" whatever you choose to do will come back to you 3 fold (that's basically karma). I'll leave it at that.
Thanks for listening
Morgana

No comments: